Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Overview So Far

After meeting with John Staunton today (11/11), I realized that I have a chosen audience, my former peers, whether they care or not. If I were to return to CWHS, what would I say I learned that would be helpful in teaching students? Although I couldn't say everything, I have a framework and approaches to instruction that may prove useful, particularly the ideas of the value of teacher discourse in students learning local disciplinary knowledge and the practices constructed at the negotiated sites.

So, a Venn diagram that shows the teacher, and all of the contextual pieces, intersecting with a similar circle for students, and the text, or reading event. The key is what is constructed as discourse and action over the time.

What do teachers expect students to learn, to know, read, etc.? How are the teachers providing opportunities for students to learn the language (discourse) and actions that will come to count as local, disciplinary practices--presumably ways of reading, interpreting and responding to texts? These are examples.

I have a framework that could be used in other subject areas; and I am developing an approach that would allow teachers (and students) to examine their approach to online resources and texts.

No comments: